Friday, October 13, 2017

Adored - Book Review


My teen daughter has recently expressed an interest in the discipline of Quiet Time, those intentional moments we spend with God. We've discussed bible reading plans and online communities, yet she hasn't found exactly what she had in mind. She thought a devotional might be the answer. 

Disclosure:  I was given the opportunity to review "Adored," receiving a copy from Handlebar Publishing. I have not been monetarily compensated, nor am I required to write a positive review. Views expressed are my own.

When she opened the package, my daughter squealed with delight. She 'oohed & aahed' over the cover design. The blue and gold hand-lettered look is on trend with today's teens. I like the size (about 5.25"w x 7.5"l x 1.25" thick), as I think she will be able to tuck it into her backpack or Kavu without it taking up too much space. 

The pages are smooth with a pretty blue border on the outer pages that matches the cover. Though the print is small to my older eyes, my teenager can see the words clearly. There are 365 days of devotions, an entire year of reflection. My daughter especially liked the headings are numbered Day 1, Day 2, etc. instead of by Month & Day. When I asked why, she replied, "Because if I miss a day, I won't feel guilty. I can just pick up where I left off."

There is a bible verse at the top of the page (NIV translation is used) with a couple of paragraphs below, which are points to ponder. The wording is straight-forward, and will take under 3 minutes to read. Most of the pages seem to focus on why and how God not only loves us, but understanding He adores us. It is easy to 'hear' the author's voice, as if she is chatting with a friend. 

The bottom of the page contains a few ruled lines to write a prayer, journal a thought, or make a note. I think this book will allow my daughter to better enjoy her quiet time with Him. She'll have something to dwell upon, a piece of scripture to reference it, and most of all, connect with her Lord. 

The price point (Under $15 on most sites, though I've seen it as low as $10.99 on sale) makes this a wonderful idea for the teenager/young 20-something in your life. I would be comfortable giving it as a gift for a newly-baptized believer, stocking stuffer for a niece or neighbor, or even a 'just because' to a special church friend. 

I think this will become a well-loved page turner for my daughter. I look forward to discussing her thoughts on each day's devotions, and watching her grow in Him.