Saturday, January 23, 2016

Prayer - Day 23


KJV -  I cried unto him with my mouth, and he was extolled with my tongue.

NLT -  For I cried out to Him for help, praising Him as I spoke.



Cried Out...Praising

We've got a handle on crying out to God in prayer, yes? If not, you can look back to these verses:  Day 12, and Day 15. Even when our mouths cannot articulate our needs, the Holy Spirit will intervene our desperate cries us to allow our souls to commune with Father God. When our spirits are wrung out, and we are renewed, I think it is a natural next step to praise Him.

Matthew Henry's commentary:
...we were enabled by faith and hope to give glory to him when we were seeking for mercy and grace from him, and to praise him for mercy in prospect though not yet in possession
...this is a great thing which he has done for our souls, that he has been pleased so far to unite interests with us that, in seeking our own welfare, we seek his glory. 
When prayers are in our mouths praises must be in our hearts.

Praise is an important step in our faith walk. We need to praise Him, not only in our private, quiet time, but also in public. We should readily want to tell others when God has done a great thing in our lives. 

God doesn't only want to work in you.
He wants to work through you, pointing others to Him.

I know it can be unnerving to share Him with strangers, and even friends and family; but I've got a secret for you:  The more we praise Him to others, the easier it gets. 

What has God done for you lately? How can you share that experience and Him with someone today? Leave me a comment or tweet me your answer. I'd love to hear how He is working in your life. 

What does this verse speak to you?