Wednesday, December 14, 2016

The Need for Approval



For am I now seeking the approval of man, or of God? 
Or am I trying to please man?
If I were still trying to please man, I would not be a servant of Christ.




Let me just start out by saying, 'This is not a soapbox rant.' ツ 

I've been feeling this pull for a few days now. A pull to unplug from the quick-connect of social media for a while. While I dearly love Twitter (and now Instagram!), there's this need deep inside my heart to step away from all the tweets, retweets, likes, and hearts. 

After reading Galatians 1 this week, verse 10 leapt off the page. Now, I know I'm taking the verse a bit out of context to apply it to my situation (Paul is talking about his preaching the Gospel); however, hear me out. 

I like all the likes and hearts. I enjoy seeing how many people my posts reach. I truly love to encourage others by sharing my thoughts on His Word. But lately, I've had to stop and ask myself...

Am I doing this my glory or for His?

And that's where the need to step away and post less frequently applies to me. The change came about when I acquired one of those 'smart' phones. Social media was within reach whenever I wanted to look...and I've been looking too much. My nose has been glued to that little screen at times...and I don't like that. I like to experience life as it happens. I want to experience life as it happens. 

So, I deliberately removed all those fun little apps, and turned my phone back into its intended purpose...to connect with my teens and family and friends via text or (gasp!) a voice call. 

It's only been a few days, but I already feel so much better. My heart doesn't feel the need to see who liked what. I am more focused in my Quiet Time. Instead of reading and subconsciously thinking, "Now, which part of that verse/quote should I share?" I am intentionally centralizing my thoughts to, "Father, what are you speaking to me?"

While I'm not giving up on social media all together, I plan on you seeing me less frequently. I'm looking forward to going down this path He has set...though I won't be sharing much about it. Relying on Him to show me the way. 


How does social media
affect your day-to-day life?

4 comments:

  1. Loved the read... so true. We do tend to like the hearts and likes don't we. Well getting into God's word is the best decision. We can get tossed quickly into this world and its problems. I know God will give you the scripture or photo with scripture to add to uplift others in need. Enjoy the blog, did not know you had one. Now I plan to visit often. Thank you.

    Your Twitter like Friend, @virginianickle

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Virginia! Yes, looking ahead and feeling blessed to be on His intended path. Thanks for visiting. My posts are sporadic at besy, though I hope you will be encouraged by them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see this in my own life. Waiting to see who responds or likes a comment has become too important. Thank you for this reminder!
    In awe of Him,
    ~Vonda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to get caught in the comment trap, Vonda. On the days I reach for my computer before my bible, I realize I'm caught yet again. Let's pray for one another. That we might seek Him first. Love you, friend!

      Delete

I would love to read your thoughts!
Please leave a relevant comment and keep it clean!
My kids might read this one day. ツ