Monday, January 25, 2016

Prayer - Day 25


KJV -   I called upon the Lord in distress: 
         the Lord answered me, and set me in a large place.

NLT -  In my distress I prayed to the Lord,
             and the Lord answered me and set me free.


Set in a Large Place

SIDENOTE:  A little Bible trivia for you. Today's verse is very close to the center verses of the Bible. Is God speaking to the Type-A's (myself included), who need to understand order amidst the chaos, when He planned for those verses? Even if not, they are inspired words by which to live. Go take a look:  Psalm 118:8-9


Have you ever been in that place of desperate, when you feel the world closing in around you? Your chest feels the weight of the world bearing down. Perhaps you feel you are the prey of human predators, waiting to devour you for mistakes or bad decisions made. You are confined, and you don't know where to turn. In that desperation, you cry out, hoping someone will hear your pleas. 

He hears your cries.

I've been there, too...so often so, when I read this verse, tears sprang to my eyes. Not from remember the desperation, but from the second phrase: 

He answered and set me in a large place. 

"Set me in a large place" made little sense to me when I first read it; but then I remembered that closed-in feeling of desperation, and I understand what the Psalmist wrote. The walls are no longer collapsing, the weight of the world is no longer sitting atop my chest, I am no longer being preyed upon. I am set free from those burdens. My world has opened up again, and I am in the midst of His peace, in that large expanse of His love.

When we cry out to Him, 
we allow Him to work in our lives 
to bring us the peace we desire. 

We let go. We let God.

(The Psalms) ...teaches us how to be honest before God. If you have a problem, tell God about it. Don't hide it. Don't cover it up. Especially, don't get pious and sanctimonious and try to smooth it over. If you are angry with God, say so. If you are upset about something he has done, tell him so. If you are resentful, bring it out. If you are happy and glad, express that. That is what worship is---a heart's honesty. As Jesus said to the woman at the well in Samaria, "The true worshipers will worship the Father in Spirit and truth." (John 4:23) God is looking for that kind of worshiper. And as you worship in Spirit and truth, you will discover a new source of strength. If you can be honest before God, even about those troublesome problems of wrong moods and attitudes, you will find grace answering your needs.
What does this verse speak to you?