Monday, January 4, 2016

Prayer - Day 4


KJV - Continue in prayer, and watch in the same with thanksgiving

NLT - Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart.




Continue, Watch, Be Thankful

The Greek word used here, προσκαρτερέω: proskartereō, is a command to "give constant attention to a thing." It is derived from root words meaning "steadfast" and "strength."

The command to "watch" is a reminder our prayers are to be of His will, not our desires. I like how A.R. Faussett states this command as "watching against the indolence as to prayer." 

There is also a command to be thankful. Essentially, this is an attitude of gratitude. Always, find one thing for which to be grateful:  Praise Him for the opportunity to come into His presence through prayer.

Father God, 

Thank You for this day and allowing me the opportunity to serve You. 
Today, I seek to give unswerving awareness to You during my prayer time. 
I strive to not let my thoughts stray. I choose to focus my heart on Your desires for me. Father, as I seek Your will, show me the purpose of this day. 
May I remember to point others to You. 
In Jesus' name ~ AMEN.


What does this verse speak to you?