Friday, June 23, 2017

The Journey to Steady

Click image to link up to FMF "Steady"







To participate in Five Minute Friday,
 all you have to do is write for five minutes on the word of the week, post your words on your own blog, and link up the post here.  
This is meant to be a free write, which means: no editing, no over-thinking, no worrying about perfect grammar or punctuation. Just write.

Today's prompt:  STEADY

People often ask me how I manage the life I've been given. There is so much I don't share on this blog. You, reader, only get to see the glimmer I allow you to view. Today, I'll share just a little bit more personal than I usually do. I know I won't be able to go in depth because of time allowances, but here is a glimpse...

BEGIN...

Almost a decade ago, my dearest declined in health which forced a retirement from his career twenty-five years before he planned. It shifted the axis of our world, throwing our entire family off-kilter while we figured out our new life. 

We were a self-reliant couple. One of the qualities that first drew me to him was his quiet, inner strength. He worked hard, played hard, and I just knew he was the one God intended for me to spend with my days on this earth. 

I'm just as independent as my best friend, my love, my husband. We typically didn't turn to others when something went awry. We figured it out and went about fixing or doing what needed done. 

When life as we knew it came to a halt, we were thrown into a stunning new scenario. Life's dreams were ceased. Career pursuits halted, and honestly, we had no idea where we were going or what we were to be doing. 

And that has become the biggest blessing in our lives. 

Because these self-reliant, independent creatures we were suddenly had nowhere to turn ...except to our God. We learned to truly rely on Him. He is where we could draw strength. He is our might. He is the Source.

When the storms of life toss us, instead of flailing our arms helplessly about, we choose to lift them up, knowing He will be there to grab hold. He is our STEADY.

...STOP

We are forever grateful for the journey He's given us. 
We praise Him for showing us how to rely on Him.

20 comments:

  1. Hi Larri, thank you so much for your honesty. My husband and I experienced a similar season this past Fall where he encountered major health issues. All I can say is I learned more about surrender in the process. Thankful to be a part of Five Minute Friday. Blessings, Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It's all about the surrender. Such an easy concept, yet sometimes difficult to live out. I'm praying for you & yours today. Hope all is much better with your husband and his health. Thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  2. Helllo FMF neighbor. Yes, God is our steady, unchanging, always reliable friend and Savior. Your words honor him and bless us. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Humbled by your sweet comment. Thank you, neighbor! :)
      Happy Writing and thanks for visiting!

      Delete
  3. I can relate to your situation. My husband and I are both fiercely independent. It is our strength but also our weakness. You've given me something to think and pray about as we move forward. Blessings to you. #19 at #fmf

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, to be independent. You've summed it up perfectly as strength and weakness. Praying for you as you reflect this weekend. Thanks for visiting and Happy Writing!

      Delete
  4. He truly is our rock and the only place to go for steady!! Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So thankful for His enduring steadiness!
      Thank you for stopping by and happy writing!

      Delete
  5. I love every testimony that shows God is the One we can depend on! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen to that, dear friend!
      Thank you for visiting. Love ya!

      Delete
  6. Larri, my gosh...my wife could have written this post. I'm terminal, and since I had to leave the workforce she has been shoulering the burden, and we have been trying to find a 'new normal' in our relationship.

    It hasn't been easy. But God never said it would be.

    #1 at FMF this week.

    http://blessed-are-the-pure-of-heart.blogspot.com/2017/06/your-dying-spouse-327-whats-heaven-like.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your thoughtful response, but most of all, thank you for taking a moment of your precious time to read my post. I've read many of your posts, and they are all inspiring. Will be checking this newest post today. Praying for you and yours. May you feel His Steady Love around you today.

      Delete
  7. Thanks for sharing part of your story here! I agree, it's often when the other things we rely on are taken away that we see our need for God more clearly and discover he is where we need to place our hope. Visiting from FMF#36.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Lesley! Yes, when He helps us refocus, His vision for us becomes clear. Thanks for stopping by. Happy Writing!

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Larri, this must have been hard to have stayed steady through a time of uncertainty like this. Thank you so much for sharing how you got through this...by lifting our hands up...to receive God! Joining you from FMF - #82

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was, and sometimes still is; however, when my feeble brain is reminded by my sturdier spirit, His steadiness shines through. I am grateful. Thank you for visiting. Happy Writing!

      Delete
  11. I, too, have had my world turned on its axis before...but know, just as you do, that God steadies us even on the most upside down days of life. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm visiting from FMF - and look forward to reading more as you feel led to share.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer, today I will pray your world is spinning to keep you grounded by the pull of Him Who steadies us. Thanks for visiting and Happy Writing!

      Delete

I would love to read your thoughts!
Please leave a relevant comment and keep it clean!
My kids might read this one day. ツ