Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Prayer - Day 19


KJV -Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you.

NLT - You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.




Ask of the Father...in My Name

This is a meaty verse to chew on from beginning to end. I'm skipping over the "I have chosen you" part to focus on the prayer part...asking in Jesus name. If you'd like to dig a little deeper, read "Are You a Friend of Jesus?" at bible.org. Scroll down to point 4 for this verse.

This verse seems a little familiar, doesn't it? The passages from Day Three, Five, and 16 are similar in their commands to asking of God; however, there is something more in John 15:16. We are told to ask of God the Father in Jesus' name. Why are we to pray in the name of Jesus?

I think we have to go back to Chapter 14 of John, when Jesus is talking to Philip. He says in verse 13:  "And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the Son may bring glory to the Father."

We pray, with Jesus as our mediator, so God the Father will be glorified. 

It's all for God's glory. 

I realize this seems a simplistic answer to the 'why' we pray in Jesus' name; however, I'd like us to let the thought of 'for God's glory' marinate. Soak up the thought, toss it around in your mind; and when you allow your spirit to commune with Father God today, ask Jesus to be your Messenger. 
His desire is to give glory to our Father in heaven. His desire is to dwell within your heart, so you, too, can use your talents to glorify God and point others to Him. Are you ready? 
He is waiting for you.

What does this verse speak to you?