Monday, January 18, 2016

Prayer - Day 18


KJV - My voice shalt thou hear in the morning, O Lord; in the morning will I direct my prayer unto thee, and will look up.

NLT - Listen to my voice in the morning, Lord.
    Each morning I bring my requests to you and wait expectantly.



PRAYER in the Morning

I'm almost ashamed to admit how many of my days have begun with throwing back the blankets, warm feet smacking onto the chilly hardwoods, and my mind saying, 'God, I have a ton to do today. I sure hope You're hanging on for the bumpy ride!' 

This verse doesn't exactly direct us to pray in the morning; however, as the author, King David, pours out his heart to Father God, he gives us pause to ponder:  Perhaps it is the best way to start our days by beginning with prayer. 

Matthew Henry's commentary states:
Morning prayer is our duty; we are the fittest for prayer when we are in the most fresh, and lively, and composed frame, got clear of the slumbers of the night, revived by them, and not yet filled with the business of the day. We have then most need of prayer, considering the dangers and temptations of the day to which we are exposed, and against which we are concerned; by faith and prayer, to fetch in fresh supplies of grace. 

This verse also brings to mind a verse from the New Testament, Mark 1:35:



I reckon if Jesus Himself
~ the ultimate example of how a Christian should be in relationship with Father God ~
got up early in the mornings, found a quiet spot to be alone, and spent time in prayer, well...maybe I should be doing that, too!

Those few moments before crawling out of bed, it is now my habit to meditate my thoughts on Him, offer prayers for my day, my family, my friends, and sincerely ask for His guidance to do His will. I think this is what David sought as well. 

Starting with Him, focusing on what is truly important for life, and praying in the morning equips us for the grime of daily living.

 What's to gain with morning prayers? 
EVERYTHING!

How will you choose to begin today?
He is waiting for you.

What does this verse speak to you?