Monday, February 8, 2016

Love - Verse 4




Last post, we examined the beginning of this chapter, and why Paul needed to address the church of Corinth. There was dissension among the people. Pride was standing in the way of shining Christ's light. That never happens in this day and age. <insert sarcasm> 

While the spiritual gifts we've been given are important, they are meaningless without love.

The next verses in chapter 13 will show us exactly what love looks like. 

Patientmakrothyméō is 'to be of long spirit; not to lose heart; persevere bravely in enduring misfortunes and troubles.'  As a parent, I can relate to this word on so many levels! I'm sure Paul purposely wrote this as the first description of love with good reason. 
Kindchrésteuomai is this long Greek word derived from a root word meaning 'by the help of anyone.' We know when kindness is given to us. Kindness from others makes the recipient and the bestower feel good.

Without mincing words, Paul describes what love is. He follows up with what love is not. 

Not Jealouszēloō - this Greek word meaning 'to burn with zeal' is rooted in a base word meaning 'to boil.' Jealousy, or envy, does make us burn with desire or boil over in anger when someone has what we want. This is not love.
Not Boastfulperpereuomai - means 'a self display, employing rhetorical embellishments in extolling one's self excessively.' We've all been around braggarts. They are annoying, boorish, and obnoxious. To boast one's self, does nothing more than to push others away. This is not love.
Not Proud physioō - is Greek for 'to be puffed up, or to bear one's self loftily,' I personally feel this is the most important of  the 'not love' attributes. Pride is also Satan's ultimate tool for keeping us separated from God. We simply cannot hold ourselves in higher esteem than one beside us. We are all equal in God's eyes. This is not love.
Not Rude - aschēmoneō - first, this word is actually tacked onto the beginning of verse 5; however, in my little Type-A brain it fits better here, because it completes the sentence. This Greek word means 'to act unbecomingly.' Digging a little deeper, it means 'to prepare disgrace.' It is an intentional act meant to hurt another. This is not love.

It's amazing to me how one sentence can give me so much to chew on for not just a day, but a lifetime. All these love attributes can be achieved, though not on my own. I cannot endure without God. Keeping my eyes on Him reminds me where my focus belongs. 

When my heart is full of Him, 
I can spill the overflow &

LOVE the person before me.


How will you love others today?